The Ancient Kingdom of Benin
This half term, our overall focus is History.
We are learning:
- To know how the Kingdom of Benin developed.
- To know about some important events in Africa’s history.
- To know what the people of Benin believed in.
- To know why Benin’s sculptures surprised the people who discovered them.
- To know how Benin’s past is recorded through a range of sources.
- To know the story of how Eweka came to be the Oba of the Benin Kingdom.
- To know how to examine and evaluate different sources of evidence about Benin and explain what they can teach us about Benin culture.
- To know how and why the Kingdom of Benin became powerful and also how and why the empire came to an end.
What do you think this artefact is/represents?