Maths Activity 1
- 14,078, 14,079, 14,080, ,
- 9,870, 9,869, 9,870, ,
- 4,580, 4590, 4,600, ,
- 6,710, 6,720, 6,730, ,
- 2,300, 2,200, 2,100, ,
- Last week you looked at different representations of numbers and worked out adding and subtracting numbers using a place value grid. Let’s recap what you did:
What number is represented here?
One thousand, eight hundred and thirty-four
Add 40. What is the answer?
Answer these questions:
2. Using a place value grid makes it much easier to work our addition and subtraction calculations with bigger numbers.
Here is a number:
Subtract 3 tens.
Answer these questions:
Maths Activity 2
- 16,567, 16,568, 16,568, ,
- 5,999, 5,998, 5,997, ,
- 9,910, 9,920, 9,930, ,
- 9,920, 9,910, 9,900, ,
- 1,700, 1,800, 1,900, ,
- In your last lesson, you looked at using a place value grid to help you answer addition and subtraction questions. For this activity can you put the number into your own place value grid and work out the answers.
Once you have answered the questions above, can you match them to the correct answer below:
7,147 1,950 4,450
2. Now that you are experts with using your place value grids, work out the answers to these questions:
- 8,355 + 40 =
- 9,987 – 200 =
- 7,652 – 4,000 =
- 6,880 + 3,000 =
- 4,695 – 20 =
- 5,469 – 6 =
3. Answer these problems:
Maths Activity 3
- Order these measurements from smallest to biggest:
2,345cm 7,457cm 1,001cm 2,435cm
- Order the money from smallest to largest amount:
£8,921 £2,189 £4,676 £4,667
- What do you need to add to these numbers to make 20:
- In the last lesson, we add and subtracted thousands, hundreds, tens and ones. This lesson we are going to look at adding two 4-digit numbers together using our place value grids.
What number is represented here:
How could I add 2,213 to the number on our place value grid?
If we add up our columns we have made:
Answer the questions below:
2 Can you add the numbers together using the place value grids and fill in your own counters:
a 2,132 + 1,427 =
Maths Activity 4
- Today we are going to use our place value grid to answer some more questions but we are going to change the counters that we use to represent the numbers inside the grid.
Work out this question:
6,254 + 2,405 =
Work these questions out:
2. In this step, we are going to change our counters for the numbers and add our numbers through the column method.
Have a go at these questions:
3. Can you complete these calculations using the column method we have just used for addition: