- 7 x 4 =
- 2 x 8 =
- 7 x 2 =
- 5 x 5 =
- 0 x 3 =
- 10 x 10 =
- 678 – 100 =
- 236 + 100 =
- 12 ÷ 3 =
- 120 ÷ 10 =
Here is a reminder of how to do column subtraction. Don’t forget, sometimes you have to exchange from the column to the left. Always start on the ones column.
Now have a go yourself. Remember to carefully put the digits in the right columns or you might make a mistake. It is always a good idea to show your working out!
Task 3 – Column subtraction in word problems.
Now try using the column subtraction method to solve these word problems.
- There are 68 passengers on a bus. 35 are upstairs. How many are downstairs?
- Omar has 96p. He spends 55p. How much does he have left?
- There are 64 tents in the campsite. 27 tents are taken down. How many tents are still up?
- A shop has 325 customers on Monday but 87 less on Tuesday. How many customers does the shop have on Tuesday?
- A newsagent has 750 newspapers. 463 are sold. How many are left?
- A florist has 240 flowers. At the end of the day there are 117 left. How many have been sold?
- A hotel has 238 rooms. 196 have people in them. How many are empty?
- Four coaches carry 240 children. There are 147 on the first three coaches. How many children are on the last coach?