While reading chapter 2 think about
- How are Charlie and Tilda’s costumes described?
- Where is the ‘gate’ located?
- What ‘key’ do the siblings need to pass through the gate?
- How did Tilda feel about her costume?
- Why do you think the word ‘borrowed’ was in inverted commas?
- What materials was the door made from?
- Who went through the doorway first and why?
- What do you think will be different after they pass through the gate?
To think about while reading chapter 3:
- Look for descriptions of the Victorian setting, including those appealing to different senses.
- Who do Charlie and Tilda first meet when back in Victorian York?
- What year did the siblings go back to?
- What is a ‘mangle’ used for?
- What is the meaning of the words ‘blagger’ and ‘toff’?
- Why did Charlie tell the woman that they were thieves?
- Why did Charlie dirty his sister’s dress?
- What do you think would be the worst part about living in the Victorian slum and why?