In 1843 Walkden Juvenile School was opened on Hodge Road, Walkden, opposite the present library. Originally the school trained girls for domestic service. Lord Francis Egerton, the First Earl of Ellesmere, in conjunction with St Paul’s Church, was influential in the opening of the school.
Later the school became a Junior School, teaching children from seven to eleven years of age. At first boys and girls were strictly segregated. In September 1969, the Hodge Road School became a Primary School, as infants were admitted for the first time.
In April 1975, the school was transferred to the Heathside Grove site and the Victorian building on Hodge Road was demolished. A Nursery class was opened in March 1982. The school is well equipped with Interactive Whiteboards and laptop computers in each class. Outside we have two playgrounds, two playing fields, a dedicated play area for our Foundation children, a tyre park in each playground, and a small nature area. The school continues to develop and a Children’s Centre has been opened in the school grounds. The centre will provide a range of services for children from birth – 5 years.
Throughout its history, St Paul’s school has enjoyed close links with St Paul’s Church and it has greatly benefited from this.
St Paul’s Primary School, Hodge Road, Walkden. 1843-1975
Click here for more information.